This is just a quick template that I am using with my teams.
Hammer's Technical Post-Mortem for Failures
- What was the problem? Please be as concrete and simple as possible (e.g. the build failed due to data not being cleaned up the database)
- What was the root cause of the problem? Consider using the 5 Whys in order to really track down root causes.
- Was the issue resolved quickly? If so, what processes or techniques made that happen. If not, what gaps in our processes or techniques exist?
- Identify actionable items that would resolve the root cause of the issue or change the processes and techniques to accommodate failures of this type.
- Assign owners to the action items.